All hail the great Lavender...
Lavender essential oil is one of the most popular essential oils used today. I mean, it does smell pretty amazing. It has been used for healing, medicinal & religious purposes for over 2,500 years now. Carrying a little bottle of lavender essential oil is like having your own little first aid kit right on hand. The fragrance is calming, relaxing and balancing – physically and emotionally.
The Egyptians used this wonderful oil for mummification and as a perfume. The Romans also used it for cooking, bathing and as a perfume as well.
Today, this essential oil benefits your body in the following ways:
- Reduces anxiety and emotional stressIt has a calming scent, which makes it great for relieving stress/anxiety. The refreshing aroma removes nervous tension and increases mental activity. Rub 2-3 drops of lavender oil in your cupped palms, then inhale into your hands to draw the scent all the way into your brain to calm the mind. You can also rub the essential oil on your temples, and pulse points. This is good for crowed places like festivals, concerts, or airports just to calm and relax your mind.
- Heals burns and woundsIt has antibacterial and antiviral properties that help heal the skin naturally. Put 2-3 drops Lavender oil on a minor burn to decrease pain. Put a drop of Lavender oil on a bee sting or insect bite to stop itching reduce swelling. Drop Lavender oil on cut to stop bleeding, clean wound, and kill bacteria.
- Improves sleepIt is frequently used as a treatment for insomnia. Again, use the cupping and inhalation method. Then, rub a drop of Lavender oil on your palms and smooth on your pillow to help you sleep.
- Restores skin complexion and reduces acneLavender essential oil inhibits the bacteria that cause the initial acne infection, helps to regulate it, and can reduce the signs of scarring after the acne has begun to heal. Adding a small amount of the oil to your skincare routine can greatly increase the potential for relief and healing of acne.
- Slows aging with powerful antioxidantsIt is naturally packed with antioxidants, making it perfect for anti-aging.
- Improves eczema and psoriasisMix several drops of Lavender oil with a nut or vegetable mixing oil (coconut, sesame, etc.) and use topically on eczema and dermatitis.
- Alleviates headachesIt induces relaxation and relieves tension and stress, working as a sedative, antidepressant, anti-anxiety, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant and calming agent.
A few of my favorite beauty + skincare products that incorporate LAVENDER are:
NOW Essential Oils Lavender Oil I love adding this to my diffuser or oil lamp mixed with other oils to create my own blend.
The Honey Pot Company Sensitive Wash- I used to struggle with yeast infections and I met this company at their booth at a Bronner Brother's Hair show in Atlanta, GA back in 2014 and have been a user of their washes ever since. This wash is sensitive enough to use down there on your pot on the daily basis and it incorporates not only lavender oil but lavender flower water also. Allowing you to boost moisture levels and avoid feeling dry down there, also while balancing your pH levels. THIS WASH IS LIFE!
Dr. Bronner's Lavender Organic Hand Sanitizer: One of my fav go to products I keep in my purse. I always get compliments after I spray it.